H4A was founded by Eric Yeh (AB ’98, SM ’98) in 2010 to foster community among Asian and Asian American alumni. The organization has steadily grown since its inception, with hundreds of active members in its virtual and in-person activities, and 7,000 alumni subscribed to our newsletter. We host a wealth of social, cultural, and educational activities and seek to provide an inclusive space for Harvard’s estimated 20,000+ Asian and Asian American alumni across all of its schools.
H4A's mission is to provide a forum for connection, community, learning and support among Harvard University Asian American alumni globally, to foster engagement with Harvard and to represent our concerns at Harvard and in the community beyond.
- To develop and sustain a broad network of Harvard Asian American alumni
- To foster community and support among Asian American alumni, students, faculty and staff
- To provide a forum for exploring our shared experience, while recognizing and highlighting that Asian Americans are diverse across many measures
- To encourage involvement by Asian American alumni, enhance our visibility and build a voice at Harvard
- To educate and advocate on issues that affect Asian American communities, primarily those within Harvard
- To support scholarship and activities at Harvard that advance knowledge and understanding of Asian American communities, experiences and issues
- To support the recruitment and retention of Asian American students, faculty and staff members
- To foster and promote diversity, equity, inclusion and racial justice at Harvard and serve as active allies in pursuit of that goal
“Asian American” is intended to be broadly constructed and encompass all people of Asian descent with American life experience, including those individuals who came to Harvard but returned to Asia subsequently.
Membership is open to all alumni/ae, faculty, and employees of all schools and institutes of Harvard University. Members share an interest in furthering the goals of H4A, as listed above. Only dues-paying alumni may vote and hold office. Please see the Join page for latest membership rates.
H4A is governed by a global Board of Directors. Board members serve two-year terms and are elected by the membership. You may see our organizational bylaws here. Please see the Leadership Page for more information.
Non-Profit Status & Relationship with Harvard
The organization's full name is Harvard Asian American Alumni Alliance Educational and Charitable Foundation Inc. It is a 501(c)(3) organization. H4A is an official Shared Interest Group of the Harvard Alumni Association.
Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.